Friday, August 14, 2009

When in Rome - Rick Steves has nothing on Tuscans

This past weekend (well actually two weeks ago now.. time lapse) I was able to head to Tuscany. (yes I know, it was the second weekend in a row… I am a jerk for sharing sorry) Anyways, I met up with my friend Beth who was one of my roommates while studying in Perugia – and she also happens to be from Davis. You see, Beth was a nanny as well a few years ago and like a fairy take she fell in love with an Italian named Marco. She has been here for a month or so to visit him and I was lucky enough to be able to leech onto their vacation and spend some time with a true Tuscan.


After a 5 hour train ride I arrived into Chiusi, a small town near the edge of Tuscany and Umbria. Beth and Marco picked me up and we ventured to his parents house. There we rested and I got a chance to wash off the train ick before we took a drive through the Tuscan countryside. I have this thought that most people secretly want to star in their own movie, and if I had a chance mine would take place in this area. I was in the back of what I assume to be the traditional Italian car… tinsy, 2 door manual. We blared Italian music as we whipped around the curves and I plastered my face to the window in awe of all that I was able to see. We passed giant bales of hay, fields of vibrant yellow sunflowers, coffee shops packed with people of all ages and of course wineries.



After our little jaunt we arrived in a town called Montepulciano. You may not know this town right now but for those of you that are Twilight fans the next movie, New Moon, was filmed there. They even have the cheesy t-shirts in the shops. I know… gag me. However not only are they now known for being a movie location but they are also home to a world famous wine called Vino Nobile de Montepulciano. Ill let you in on a little secret. If you can ever find a way to make friends with locals DO IT. Yes it might be scary and if you are travelling alone it might not be something that I would recommend but if you really want to know the hidden secrets that even Rick Steve’s can’t find then you need a local. Marco (Beth’s boyfriend) is from a town near Montepulciano he knew all of the places to visit and of course the cuisine to try.



As we trekked up to the center… it was a hillside town and pretty steep to get to, we arrived to the sounds of a symphony performing in the main square. Seriously, a symphony, composed of about 70-100 people playing every instrument. We listened and tried to absorb as much as possible as the sound echoed throughout the Piazza to the 14th century buildings. After the concert we dropped into a local cellar to tour the casks and later we had a wine and cheese tasting. Heaven. World renowned wine and 4 types of pecorino I cant think of a better combo.



Perugia was our next stop. Aww to be “home” again. Walking the town, seeing the famous fountain, eating a Baci chocolate and listening to the variety of languages in the center. It was so good to be back if only for a few hours. That night we went back to Tuscany (la Citta de Pieve) and I woke up to a vast valley before me. The schedule for the day was a picnic on Mount Amiata with Marcos friends. I loved tagging along on the shopping adventure with Tuscans because 1. they know that places to go and 2. they are very particular. We went to the butcher and I watched as he sliced off a huge chunk of raw beef called bistecca Florentina that is supposed to be served barley cooked…. Not so sure about that one but who am I to judge? A few sausages and some other groceries later we were on out way.



The drive to Mount Amiata was about an hour and allowed us to pass through a good portion of the countryside. We arrived at a large park on the mountain and set up camp. Lunch was perfect.. a slow 5 hour meal filled with joking, the sharing of stories and of course incredible food. Stuffed to the brim we passed out on the dirt. Classy, I know. Then we climbed to the top of the mountain where the view jolted me to the reality of just how lucky I am.



A little town called Lucca was the final destination for my weekend 2 hours north of La Citta de Pieve. This town is surrounded by a huge wall so thick that you can drive a car around the perimeter – we choose bikes. A 7 euro rental and we had wheels. The churches, piazzas were wonderful – however I have to admit a real reason I was excited about Lucca. A co-worker is Italian and knows this town fairly well. She warned me of a thing called, “Lucca bread” and told me of a place to look. We biked over to the B&B to see if they had it…. They did not but directed us to the place where it could be purchased. We jetted over to the pasticceria called Fabbrica Buccellato Taddeucci and entered a fresh baked haven. I bought a loaf of such bread (braided with chocolate and candied orange pieces) and 2 small other pieces. I have to ashamedly admit that I walked out of the store sampled my purchase and walked right back in to buy more. Glutton yes, but oh so happy J I think that sums up Lucca. Adorable, bike-able city with great baked goods. It certainly suited my fancy.



Many more adventures to be added. Coming very soon.



JIA






1 comment:

  1. I'm sitting in my cubicle at work reading your blog and now my mouth is watering. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete