Saturday, August 15, 2009

Hans Solo - Party of One

Part 1:

Slovenia, check. Hungary, check. Travelling alone to Eastern Europe, check. Thanks to a free rail pass, savvy internet skills and a degree in communications I found myself taking the road less travelled and on a journey that I couldn’t have planned.


Initially I left Levanto with a plan to see Ljubljana and Lake Bled over a period of 4 days. After a 15 hour train ride with stops in Venice and Milan, a few cheesy photos, a broken rail car and 4 loud French backpackers I was dropped in the capital city of Ljubljana, Slovenia at 4 am weighed down by a large pack and completely alone. Amazingly enough the hostel waited for me to arrive and I was able to crash out as soon as I got there. However “sleeping” in a 4 bed mixed dorm is not the most restful experience, thus I was up a very short 3 hours later in search of coffee and friends. Thankfully both were waiting in the communal kitchen when I crawled out of my room. I recognized a shirt from Costa Rica on a guy in the kitchen and struck up a conversation about travels and caffeine. Just like the instant coffee, Scott the Canadian, became an instant friend. Me, being a travel agent came with a list of things to see, places to go and local specialities to eat and he being a solo traveller in search of an adventure was willing to join me in exploring Ljubljana and completing my list.


Ljubljana is a very small city – despite its title of being a capital. The Dragon Bridge, Triple Bridge, Castle and famous square are the main attractions and all about 10 minutes from each other. After crossing the bridges and wandering around the antiques market absorbing the communist paraphernalia (swastikas and the sort) the trek to the castle on the hill called my name. The hike to the top wasn’t that bad and the view from the tower was a wonderful way to see the entire city. However after the castle adventure all of the main spots were photographed and my checklist was complete. Hmmmmm. Sightseeing in 1 hour, check.


Craving the local delicacies of sausage, mustard and beer I took out my list and we ventured to a restaurant with a menu that I couldn’t understand one word…. that’s how you know that’s going to be authentic. The food was great and very different. I got a sausage in a red wine sauce and tried the mushroom soup, both very good and as I found out later, an aroma that I would have of for a few hours. Ha, oops. That afternoon it was quite hot so the hostel directed all of its customers to a local pool around the corner. Relaxing and restful- just what I needed. Then that night the castle was hosting a movie in the main courtyard so armed with a picnic we took a ride on the cable car and arrived at the top with locals and tourists to enjoy Revolutionary Road with Slovenian subtitles. Just to give you an idea how different their language is hvala is thanks… yea about that, huh?


The next day Lake Bohinj and Lake Bled were on the agenda. There was a slight attempt to rent a car with 4 people from the hostel but all of the local agencies were sold out so the bus was the best mode of transportation. 2 hours later I found myself at the base of the Alps on the edge of a crystal clear lake listening to language I have never heard before and wishing my camera could truly capture what I was seeing. The water was absolutely frigid but so refreshing. This lake, Bohinj, was beyond the typical tourist path and made me grateful to have heard about it (thanks Lonely Planet). After lunch - sorry, nothing exciting to report here, and a 45 minute bus ride the city and lake called Bled were before me. What a difference between the two lakes. 5x as many people wandering around, hotels, shops, and countless restaurants. Don’t get me wrong this place was beautiful. A clear lake with an island church in the middle, a castle very high on a hillside that overlooked the water and very cute wooden boats for hire scattering the shoreline. Quaint.


As we headed back to Ljubljana I was at a crossroad in my journey. I had a decision to make. Do I stay in Ljubljana for another day and take the train back at 2am on Wednesday or do I venture with a new friend to the Sziget Music Festival in Budapest, Hungary and fly back on Thursday… hmmmm.


Details to come but Lulu has awoken from her “na-na” and I need a typing break.

JIA – the tata

No comments:

Post a Comment