Thursday, July 2, 2009

TA - TA?

To some this phrase may have no meaning at all but to those of you that are aware of the need to "save the ta tas" as a girl in my sorority did, I would like you to know that in Italy the nanny is known as a ta-ta. Yes each day, several times a day I am reminded of the need to save people from breast cancer. It is quite a good start I think.

We have made it to Casella a commune di Levanto (think Cinque Terre minus the tourists). Claudia refers to her house a tower becase there are three levels. The bottom level has the 2 bedrooms. One in which I share with Ludovica and then Claudia has the other. The next level is the living room and my personal bathroom. The last is the kitchen and outdoor terrace. Imagine walking out to a fountain, tiled patio that overlooks an olive grove on one side and hillside towns on the other. I feel like a mute because all that I want to do is look out on the countryside and stare at the cars. I make Lulu sit on the floor and look for buses--- yes I know that I am creative but hey she likes it because I let her "play" with my hair.

We have not had a chance to go to the sea because the weather has been bad however I have had a chance to see the town. Last night we went to a small ristorane in town to celebrate my arrival and the one year anniversary of Claudias divorce. Close your eyes and imagine this meal (sorry to those of you that are reading hungry.... this is mean I realize). We sit outside facing a small garden with fountain, and are served a variety of bread. I order a salad and then ravoli with a walnut sauce... a local specaility. The appetizer were large, fried anchovies... yes, anchovies and I ate them, well hoovered might be a better term. Who knew that the slimy little canned fish could grow so big and offer so much enjoyment. I am now a believer. Of course we had to have sparliking wine to toast with (chin - chin) and then after dinner it was grilled peaches with caramel and gelatto. Oh, yes, and limoncello. Phew.... roll me home.

Today the sun was also hiding but we went to town anyway. Claudia went to the park with Lulu and I got a chance to walk around. The castle, church, shops and my favorite - the grocery store. I must have looked like a well dressed homeless person because I just walked and looked at the fresh pesto and cheese. No drool thankfully.

Currently I am enjoying the benefits of looking after a little one because she is napping. Hopefully later we can go to the sea because despite the cooler temperatures it is still humid and I need to be in the ocean. It was torture to see all of the people in the water... well, also torture to see all of the old Italian men in speedos. It was a quick refersher course in seaside wear.

I hope all is well and that this message brings you a bit of joy. Until next time-

Jenny the ta ta.

5 comments:

  1. jenny,
    i think i got this all set up. again thank you for dragging your mother and father into the 21st century and the world of blogging. am very much enjoying your adventures. would love to hear about the good looking, younger italian guys in the speedos however. the older version will make you question your sexual preference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jenny,
    i think i'm all set up however this is the second time i've typed this comment. we'll see. it's a challange being dragged into the world of blogging. enjoying your adventures. would love to hear more about the younger, italian guys in the speedos instead of the older version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry jen, i guess the first time worked. i'll get the hand of this soon i hope so that i don't embarrass you infront of your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I can't get over that you're nickname there is tata! Too bad you didn't bring your tatas shirt! You need to post pictures of little Lulu and you...miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me smile to know that you are called ta-ta everyday!!! Love to read your stories and be careful in the Sea (look out for sharks).

    ReplyDelete